Wisdom is a sense of coherence and wholeness. Erik Eriksson
These are the virtue characteristics of wisdom.
Wisdom is the fitting application of knowledge. Knowledge understands the light has turned red; wisdom applies the brakes. Knowledge sees the quicksand; wisdom walks around it.
Virtue of Wisdom
Strengths that accompany this virtue involve acquiring and interpreting experience:
- Connectedness and compassion
- Creativity (e.g. Albert Einstein’s creativity led him to acquire knowledge and wisdom about the universe)
- Love of Learning and Growth
- Perspective and Wisdom (Fun fact: many studies have found that adults’ self-ratings of perspective and wisdom do not depend on age, which contrasts the popular idea that our wisdom increases with age)
- Non-judgment but a willingness to listen with the intent to support, rather than give advice