The chakras, first defined in 2000 BCE in India, are consistent with modern understandings of neural centers in the body, emotion, psyche, thought, intuition etc.
1. Root Chakra (red) — Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded.
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money and food.
- Location: Lower abdomen, about two inches below the navel and two inches in.
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure and sexuality.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra (Yellow) — Our ability to be confident and in control of our lives.
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence and self-esteem.
4. Heart Chakra (Green) — Our ability to love.
5. Throat Chakra (Blue) — Our ability to communicate.
- Location: Throat.
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings and the truth.
6. Third Eye Chakra (Indigo) — Our ability to focus on and see the big picture.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes (also called the Brow Chakra).
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom and the ability to think and make decisions.
7. Crown Chakra (Violet) — The highest chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
- Location: The very top of the head.
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality and pure bliss.
The seven chakras also map the colors of the rainbow.
Each level includes and builds on the level below it, so that the lower levels provide a foundation for our spiritual growth in the same way that a tree relies on the grounding of its roots as the basis for extending its branches and leaves out towards the sunlight.
- The Jewish Kabbalah and its seven levels,
- the Chinese I Ching, which is based on two cosmic forces, yin and yang, has six levels of hexagram
- Hopi First Nation in North America speak of energy centers in the body
- The Buddhist perspective on healing is closely bound with mental, social and spiritual illness are caused by disharmony in bodily energies